Monday 22 July 2013

Mary Magdalene







Mary Magdalene
Caravaggio

Mary was standing outside near the tomb.  Then, as she wept, she stooped to look inside, and saw two angels in white sitting where the body of Jesus had been, one at the head and the other at the feet.  They said, 'Woman, why are you weeping?'  'They have taken my Lord away', she replied.  As she said this she turned round and saw Jesus standing there, though she did not realise it was Jesus.  Jesus said to her, ' Woman, why are you weeping?  Who are you looking for?'  Supposing him to be the gardener, Mary said, 'Sir, if you have taken him away, tell me where you have put him and I will go and remove him.'  Jesus said, 'Mary.' and she turned to him and said in Hebrew, 'Rabbuni!'  'Do not cling to me, because I have not yet ascended to the Father.  But go to the brothers and tell them I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'  So Mary of Magdala told the disciples, 'I have seen the Lord,' and that he had said these things to her.  (Jn 20: 11-18)



No comments:

Post a Comment