Friday 10 December 2010

Thomas Merton

On December 10th 1968, the Trappist monk, Thomas Merton died. For many he was an inspiration. His candour and honesty combined with his ability to articulate beauty and wisdom with great simplicity has nourished the faith of many.
At a very difficult and dark period in Thomas Merton’s life he penned this prayer that has been such a help to so many people:

O Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going,
I do not see the road ahead of me,
I cannot know for certain where it will end.


Nor do I really know myself,
And that fact that I think
I am following Your will
Does not mean that I am actually doing so.


But I believe
That the desire to please You
Does in fact please You.
And I hope I have that desire
In all that I am doing.


I hope that I will never do anything
Apart from that desire to please You.
And I know that if I do this
You will lead me by the right road,
Though I may know nothing about it.


Therefore I will trust You always
Though I may seem to be lost
And in the shadow of death.
I will not fear,
For You are ever with me,
And You will never leave me
To make my journey alone.

Source: Thomas Merton, Pax Christi, Benet Press, Erie, PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment